Guitar genius Daniel Tidwell returns with his fourth Versus Video Games release. 24 tracks of rocked/metalled up famous video game tracks. Variety is the spice of life for the man as he’s already covered so many of the more famous compositions. This means Versus Video Games 4 has some of the most interesting releases so far. While a few don’t quite hit, there are plenty that do.
Ocarina of Time’s Gerudo Valley, Cradle from Goldeneye 007, Dracula’s Castle from Castlevania: Symphony of the Night and Secure Place/Save Room from Resident Evil 2 are the highlights of the album’s first half.
There’s probably a bit too much Final Fantasy overall though. Most of those have incredible soundtracks and have been covered in some capacity. How many times can we hear versions/remixes of Jenova before it starts to wear thin? The same can be said for the likes of At Doom’s Gate, The Halo Theme and Guile’s Theme from Street Fighter II. All of which are covered here. It’s minor blips though as there is such a wide range of soundtracks that you just don’t see covered and to such a high quality. I mean Tournament Round 2 From Mario Tennis?! Stage 1 from Ghosts ‘n’ Goblins? Mini-Boss from Sonic & Knuckles? Awesome and fun.
The second half of the album isn’t as strong as the first but it still has its high points. Hunt or be Hunted from The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is banging, Cid’s Theme from Final Fantasy VII is one of the best I’ve heard and Home 3 from RPG Maker is delightfully odd.
If you’re a fan of video game soundtracks and metal then you can’t go wrong with this. It’s fun but and most importantly respectful. These tracks aren’t being butchered and the original composition is perfectly legible.
Daniel Tidwell – Versus Video Games 4 Full Track Listing:
1. Gerudo Valley (The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time)
2. Tournament Round 2 (Mario Tennis)
3. J-E-N-O-V-A/Jenova Theme (Final Fantasy VII)
4. Cradle (Goldeneye 007)
5. Halo Theme (Halo: Combat Evolved)
6. The Price of Freedom (Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII)
7. Stage 2/Lightning Speed (Bad Dudes)
8. Overworld 2/Athletic Theme (Super Mario Bros. 3)
9. Area D (Shatterhand)
10. Dracula’s Castle (Castlevania: Symphony of the Night)
11. Walking/Map Theme (Pokemon Go)
12. Secure Place/Save Room (Resident Evil 2)
13. Gourmet Race (Kirby Super Star)
14. Hunt or Be Hunted (The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt)
15. Home 3 (RPG Maker)
16. Guile’s Theme (Street Fighter II)
17. Cid’s Theme (Final Fantasy VII)
18. At Doom’s Gate/E1M1 (DOOM)
19. Mountain Range of Whirlwinds (Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest)
20. Stage 1 (Ghosts ‘n’ Goblins)
21. Pursuit – Cornered (Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney)
22. Mini-Boss (Sonic & Knuckles)
23. The Decisive Battle (Final Fantasy VI)
24. Aerith/Aeris’ Theme (Final Fantasy VII)
Versus Video Games 4 is out now and available via all major streaming services as well as Bandcamp below.
You can find out more about Daniel Tidwell and his work by checking out his website, Facebook Page, Twitter and YouTube Channel. If you want to help support him you can do so by pledging to his Patreon.
[amazon_link asins=’B07DMN8W2M,B07DMMR3YD,B013K5HH3Y,B07DMLXW5R’ template=’UseThisOne’ store=’g0e5b-21′ marketplace=’UK’ link_id=’702c2ec8-a476-11e8-ae6a-910c4977032b’]
Daniel Tidwell - Versus Video Games 4 (Self Released)
The Final Score - 7/10