13 Days of Halloween: Horror Q&A: Otherworldly Entity
Formed by Zlatko Grozl and John Harris in 2018, Otherworldly Entity brings surreal imagery to genuine and emotionally hard-hitting material. Matt Raymond joined the band in the early days on bass, and with the band signing to Curtain Call Records in 2021, Shawn Washer joined the band on drums in 2022.
The band has become known for both their visual image as well as recognizable sound. The perfect blend of heavy and soft, scream and sing. Their latest single ‘Sin’ was released in September 2022.
Halloween Horror Q&A
1. Happy Halloween! Tell us, what is your perfect Halloween night?
Going apple picking then sitting by a campfire listening to creepy music.
2. What is the perfect Halloween horror to put on?
I still come back to Jeepers Creepers an awful lot.
3. In our best Ghostface voice – what’s your personal favourite scary movie and why?
I have to say Don’t Be Afraid of the Dark, the amazing Guillermo del Toro thriller.
4. What’s your earliest memory of seeing a horror movie?
That definitely has to be from when I was around 5 years old and snuck into my brother’s room and hid while I watched Hellraiser. It left some marks.
5. Have you ever experienced something unusual or unexplainable in real life?
Aside from fronting Otherworldly Entity, I’m also a professional paranormal investigator. So I’ve experienced an awful lot of crazy things, like encounters with demons, being punched by elementals, being threatened by dead humans, being hugged by a dead cat, it gets kind of wild.
6. What’s the best modern horror you’ve seen recently?
It’s not too recent, but the Norwegian thriller/found footage movie Troll Hunter. It’s very exciting. But I also have to say that A Quiet Place is worth mentioning. The use of silence in the film is very unsettling, but also very raw and new.
7. What is your favourite type of horror?
Paranormal thriller, hands down. Things that get into your head a bit in an otherworldly way.
8. What’s a horror cliché that you just can’t stand?
The crazy guy with the chainsaw. I know it’s an unpopular opinion, but the Leatherface trope is just annoying. He’s a mortal human being running around with one of the most dangerous weapons possible. All it takes is a little trip. A Scooby-Doo style trap, and he’s done. I think that’s why I like the paranormal aspects like Freddy. It brings it outside of the mortal, physical world.
9. Freddy, Michael or Jason? Who is your favourite and why?
Out of those three choices, I’d say Freddy. But I really enjoy Jason as well, as long as it isn’t in outer space.
10. 70s sleaze or 80s cheese. What’s your poison and why?
80s cheese. Look at movies like Slime City that draw inspiration from it. I prefer it aesthetically.
11. Would you rather: spend a night in 112 Ocean Avenue (Amityville) or Hill House (The Haunting/The Haunting of Hill House)?
I would choose to do both. That’s like, a dream for a paranormal investigator.
12. Would you rather: ‘play a game’ (Saw) or be ‘shown such sights’ (Hellraiser)?
Hellraiser, no question. I don’t kink shame.
13. Would you rather: have a good guy doll (Chucky) or an Annabelle doll (Annabelle/The Conjuring)?
I would like to go a couple rounds with Annabelle just because the films veered so far off of the real story. I’d like to test it for myself.
14. Would you rather: be stuck in the Burkittsville, Maryland woods (Blair Witch) or stuck in the caves of the Appalachian Mountains (The Descent)?
Blair Witch. That’s an easy choice. The cave creatures in The Descent (especially when they’re expanded on in the second film) are far more terrifying than the Blair Witch.
15. Would you rather: be hunted by the Predator or by the Alien?
The Alien. I wouldn’t stand a chance against the Predator, I know that. I feel like I could stand a very remote chance against a Xenomorph.
16. What character would you be in a traditional slasher movie (the nerd, the jock, the cheerleader, the final girl etc)?
The comic relief that dies about halfway through the movie when things start to get really serious.
Website | Bandcamp | Spotify | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | YouTube